What I learnt about leadership and strategy in 15 minutes playing Chess with Richard Branson

by DBL Managing Director, Josh Mackenzie
That’s my first pawn gone. That’s my second. I’m moving my Bishop out to attack. He moved another Pawn forward. His Queen is now wide open to my Bishop. I just took his Queen. He just took my Knight … and my Rook … and another Pawn. This is moving quickly … the outcome seems inevitable now… Check Mate. What just happened?
So there I was. Sitting face to face with one of the world’s greatest business strategists and leaders. Having read about Richard Branson for almost 20 years and having never met him properly, I suddenly found myself sitting across a chess board early one Sunday morning in his beach club on Necker Island. I was there with the Change Makers Rule Breakers program, having only arrived the previous night. 
It was a chance rendezvous. I had taken myself exploring the island after breakfast and stumbled on to the tennis courts and in to beach club. The place was empty – it was early Sunday morning after all – with only a cool breeze and the sound of the waters lapping on the shore. There was absolutely no one else around. A friendly staff member greeted me; we chatted, and then in walked Richard Branson like he owned the place. Asking for someone to play a quick game of chess.
Not too sure what to say, I replied, “I haven’t played in 10 years, you're probably better off playing...” but before I could finish, the staff member politely interjected with “yes, sure Richard”. It seemed this was very normal.
Watching them both play I was aware of what a unique situation this was. There were only three of us in this peaceful, deserted Sunday morning setting – and one of them, was, well, Richard Branson. We still hadn't met properly. I was just, like, there. But it seemed on Necker Island that if you are there, then you're welcome and everyone is a friend. It just didn't seem to matter.
Promptly finishing the game, Richard asked me if I would like to play – to which of course I said yes. I insisted on introducing myself at this point while we re-set the board.
The following 15 minutes were, for the chess nerds, a display of much practice and mastery of the game. For the leadership development nerds amongst us however, it was a great display of sacrifice, patience and finishing the right way. The microcosm of those 15 minutes was a great reflection of just some of the things I learnt or was reminded of in the 6 days I experienced on Necker Island.
Here’s what stood out for me:

Make sacrifices 

I managed to take Richard’s Queen very early on and briefly thought I might have had half a chance. At which point I realised he was probably being polite. It became apparent Richard was willing to sacrifice one of his strongest pieces for the bigger vision, for the benefit of his overall strategy. It was a deliberate demolition from that point forward.
Leadership and strategy require sacrifice. Great leaders make sacrifices for the greater good; the well being of their people and their organisations. To pursue your strategy means you need to sacrifice other opportunities, the costs involved and sometimes resources along the way.

Have patience

Richard had patience in spades. As in, patience with me. I wasn’t joking when I said I hadn't played in 10 years. I had several questions throughout our game, mainly to clarify if a move I was planning was legal! He was incredibly patient, humble and helpful.
Strategy in business also takes patience. We hear so much about moving fast and adapting quickly. While these have their time and place, it is equally valuable to keep the bigger picture in mind and be patient as your strategy unfolds. It will take different turns and evolve over time. Great leaders have patience with their people, customers and the macro environment.

Finish it, and finish it the right way

Towards the end of our game Richard was quite keen to finish up; he didn't want to be late to somewhere else on the island he had to be. It was clear to me for the final 5 minutes that he would ultimately have me in Check Mate, and win. Knowing he had to get going shortly I tried three times to basically give him Check so he could win and get going. But he wouldn't take it. Knowing this was against the rules he was committed to finishing the game, but finishing it the right way.
Leaders develop and execute strategy. It’s one of our primary roles. But how many times do we see strategies fall away, or become less of a priority as other things take priority on our time? The most effective strategies are followed through. Even if a strategy is cancelled, it's done the right way. Finishing the right way is about ensuring strategies are followed through ethically, well communicated, celebrated if they produce a win, and reviewed if they didn't go to plan. It’s so easy to rush on to the ‘next thing’. The art of great leadership is to finish things the right way.
I am so grateful for our time on Necker Island – for the many different conversations and unique experiences we all had. Myself, along with our Global General Manager Angela Hands and Chairman Gary Lear will be sharing more of those experiences in coming weeks, so stayed tuned!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Learning and Development approaching an Uber moment?

DBL's Inaugural Leaders Summit - an event for thought leaders

Leading at Lightspeed with an ethical advantage – a call to action for those of us who choose leadership